Nova Scotia/Nunavut Command Poppy Trust Fund
Through your donations to the Legion Poppy Fund, the Legion provides financial assistance and support to Veterans, including Canadian Armed Forces and RCMP, and their families who are in need. Poppy Funds may be used for:
- Grants for food, heating costs, clothing, prescription medication, medical appliances and equipment, essential home repairs and emergency shelter or assistance
- Housing accommodation and care facilities
- Funding for Veteran Transition Programs that are directly related to the training, education and support needs of Veterans and their families
- Comforts for Veterans and their surviving spouses who are hospitalized and in need
- Veterans visits, transportation, reading programs and day trips
- Accessibility modifications to assist Veterans with disabilities
- Educational bursaries for children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Veterans
- Community drop-in centres, meals-on-wheels, and seniors services in communities where Veterans would benefit
- Community medical appliances, medical training and medical research which will assist in the care of Veterans in the community
- Support the work of Legion Command and Branch Service Officers across Canada in assisting and representing Veterans
- Donations for relief of disasters declared by federal or provincial governments which impact Veteran in those communities
- Promotion and administering of Remembrance activities to ensure Canadians never forget the sacrifices of Canada’s Veterans
The Poppy Campaign is organized and run by local Legion volunteers at over 1400 branches across Canada and abroad. Poppy Funds are held in trust at every level of the Legion and the use of these trust funds are strictly controlled, with appropriate approval processes.
Nova Scotia/Nunavut Command Benevolent Fund
The Command Benevolent Fund is a registered charitable fund with Canada Revenue Agency. The funds may only be used for emergency assistance, which is defined as shelter, food, fuel, clothing, prescription medicine and necessary transportation. Assistance cannot be continued over an extended period but may be offered more than once to an individual.
Funds are utilized to further support:
i. Any person who is serving or who has honourably served in the Canadian Forces and their dependents who are in need of assistance;
ii. Merchant Navy personnel who are eligible for and who have been awarded campaign stars or decorations, and their dependents who are in need
iii. Ex-service personnel of Commonwealth countries who are resident in Canada, and their dependents who are in need of assistance; and
iv. Ex-service personnel of allied countries who are resident in Canada, and their dependents who are in need of assistance.
Your gift will make a world of difference!